Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Mother's Day Letter to My Mom


Dear Mom,

A month or so ago, I grumbled about the impending Mother's Day holiday. Thinking of gift ideas for you is not always an easy task, considering the fact that you like to shop and, if there was something that you really wanted, you'd go out and buy it.  Some years I have great ideas and some years I need a little bit of help. This year, I think our gift turned out well (thanks to the kids' help) and we can't wait to see you use it.

Made with a giant heart cookie cutter, beads, and glass.
I thought about writing a post filled with all of the funny things that I remember from growing up with you as my mom.  I toyed with the idea of making a list of some of the things that I've put you through over the years, just to give readers an idea of how unconditional your support of me has been.  But as I started to write this, I was reminded how lucky I am this Mother's Day.

This Mother's Day, you are still alive.  You continue to breathe and blink and dream and love.  This Mother's Day, I can share stories about you with my own children without choking back the tears that come with loss.  This Mother's Day, I can pick up the phone and call you and tell you just how much you mean to me.  This Mother's Day, your 40th Mother's Day, my children and I get to make you a gift and talk to you about it and see you use it.  For this, I am so lucky and so very, very grateful.

I love you, Mom!  Happy Mother's Day!

Kelley 


1 comment: