Monday, June 11, 2012

Welcome, Summer!

Today is the first official day of summer for my two children, a fact that each child feels differently about.

Cara calls summer "bittersweet".  The sweet part would be sleeping in, swimming, no homework, summer camps, and trips to visit family. The bitter part is that she misses seeing her friends every day and honestly misses the routine of school.  I love how, even going into fifth grade, my daughter still  enjoys and looks forward to school.

Connor, on the other hand, declared without prompting, "I'm glad school is over. I don't want to see my teacher and have her tell me things I don't want to hear."  Translated, that means his teacher is doing her job well, keeping him on task and preventing him from spending the whole day socializing with his best friend.  (Although I haven't confirmed this yet, I am fairly sure his teacher is glad that school is over, too.)

We have a very full summer ahead of us.  By the end of August, Cara will be chomping at the bit to get back to class.  Connor, on the other hand, will probably have a long debate with us about how he has learned everything in his school and doesn't need to go back.  I am going to need these next three months just to rest up for that argument.


2 comments:

  1. Mine = same
    Last year, on the first day of school, Noah told me he couldn't go to school b/c he needed to battle the droids. I can't wait to hear what Connor comes up with. I'll start praying for his teacher. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny. "I'm glad school is over. I don't want to see my teacher and have her tell me things I don't want to hear." Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete