Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's 70 Degrees Somewhere

Cara has always had her seasons mixed up.  When she was old enough to dress herself, she would come out of her room with a sweater and shorts on.  Or try to wear flip flops when there was snow outside. Eventually, we just put the winter clothes out of sight in the summer and vice versa for summer stuff.

Now that Cara is older, I figured that she was old enough to gauge weather-appropriate clothing for herself.  If she gauged incorrectly, well, lesson learned, right?  With the years of hiding flip flops and down vests behind us, my daughter now has access to all of her clothes.

I should note that my daughter is 100% Minnesotan.  Cold is relative.  It's almost a dare, at times.  "You think I need a jacket in THIS?  The snot in my nose hasn't frozen my nostrils wide open. This isn't COLD."

Because Cara is a Minnesotan and because she is her father's daughter and gets warm the second you even say the word "sun", she has learned to dress in layers.  She wears a tank top with a long-sleeved layer on top just about every day in the winter.  When I pick her up from school at the end of the day, that long-sleeved top will be tied around her waist and she will be wearing the hood of her winter coat on her head while the rest of the coat flaps behind her like a cape.

Knowing all of this, there are still some outfits that Cara comes out in that I have to question.  On a day where the high was supposed to be 18 degrees, my eyebrows were raised when she came out of her room in lightweight pants and a short-sleeved shirt.

"That doesn't look very warm," I said, proud of myself for creatively rephrasing the ever-popular "Are you going to wear THAT?" question.

Without missing a beat, my daughter said, "I don't need to be warm to be awesome."

It goes without saying, I didn't make her change clothes that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment